I’ve always loved oatmeal. I remember as a kid my Mom making me the Quaker Peaches and Cream oatmeal in the winter as a delicious warming breakfast. As I grew up, I started learning how beneficial oatmeal is to include in your diet but never found the perfect non-sugary recipe. Until now.
Today I’m showing you an amazing winter breakfast recipe. The perfect Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal. (This recipe is written for 1 serving of oatmeal).
Oatmeal is fantastic to add to your diet as it is extremely high in soluble fibre. Fibre is essential to a proper diet by stabilizing blood sugar, preventing the development of diabetes, heart disease and cancer, lowering blood pressure and cholesterol and for keeping you full for longer. Oatmeal is high in the antioxidant avenanthramide, which protects LDL (bad cholesterol) from causing heart disease, prevents free radicals from harming HDL (high cholesterol) and staves off hardening of the arteries.
To make this delicious oatmeal you will need:
– 1/2 cup quick oats
– 1/2 cup water
– 1/2 cup nut milk of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
– 1 banana (the riper, the better)
– 1 tbsp chia seeds
– 10-12 almonds
– 1 tbsp maple syrup
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh) OR other favourite topping
1) Combine oats, water and nut milk into small saucepan and heat according to instructions on oatmeal package. (I warm mine on medium heat, stirring to avoid burning the oatmeal).
2) Once the liquid has been absorbed, cut the banana into pieces and mash into oatmeal.
3) Serve half of the banana/oatmeal mixture into a bowl.
4) Drizzle half (1/2 tbsp) maple syrup onto oats.
5) Serve second half of oatmeal mixture.
6) Top with the rest of the maple syrup, almonds and cinnamon.
7) Add any other additional toppings (if you choose). Though this oatmeal is perfect as is, blueberries are a favourite additional topping of mine!
Let me know how you like to take your oatmeal! Did you enjoy this recipe! Make it on mornings that you need a little bit of heat and comfort to start your day!