Right now if you are living on the East Coast, it is the dead of winter which means freezing weather, harsh winds and lots of snow. The best solution to a frigid day is a warm soup to warm your bones and I have just the recipe! So stay inside, stay warm and enjoy this Yummy Herbal Chicken Soup!
For two large bowls of soup (or four small servings) you will need:
– 4-6 cups of chicken (and/or) vegetable broth (homemade bone is always best but store bought works also)
– 1 chicken breast
– 2 carrots
– 1 potato
– 1/2 large onion
– 1 tsp – 1 tbsp (depending on taste) ea. basil, parsley, garlic, black pepper, sage, rosemary & oregano
– olive oil
– salt to taste
This recipe will take about 10 mins of prep, 15 mins cooking time and at least 30 mins of simmer time.
1. In a large pot, bring 5 inches of water to a boil.
2. Add in your chicken breast and bring the water down to a simmer. Allow the chicken to cook through, about 10 minutes.
3. While the chicken is cooking, remove the skin from the carrots, cut them into bite sized pieces. Cut potatoes and onion into bite sized pieces as well.
4. Remove the chicken. Allow it to cool. Drain the water.
5. In the same (now empty) pot, heat 1 tsp olive oil. Add in potatoes, onion, carrot. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
6. Once the chicken has cooled, shred the chicken. Add it to pot.
7. Add in 6 cups of chosen broth, bring soup to a boil.
8. Begin by adding in 1 tsp of your spices.
9. Bring the soup to a simmer.
10. After a few minutes, add more spices (garlic, pepper, rosemary, oregano, basil, parsley, sage) according to your taste.
11. Lightly salt the soup and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy the soup immediately, or refrigerate and enjoy within two days! You can also double (or even triple) the recipe and freeze the soup for sick days!
This soup is great because it is easily customizable. Feel free to add in celery, opt out of using chicken for a vegetarian soup or even add in pasta for a Yummy Herbal Chicken Noodle Soup! (To do this, add about a cup of pasta to the soup, bring it to a boil and cook according to the box before adding chicken and herbs).
Do you enjoy a nice, warm bowl of soup? Let me know how you enjoy my recipe! Stay warm!