Today I’m sharing with you one of my absolute favourite snacks; roasted chickpeas! You may be familiar with chickpeas in their most famous recipe hummus, however chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) can be used in a variety of different ways! Chickpeas are high in fibre, essential vitamins and minerals and are full of protein, making them a great option for vegans and vegetarians! Roasting the chickpeas makes a delicious crunchy snack that you can munch on to replace chips and can even be used as a replacement for croutons in salad! Roasted chickpeas are fun because you can play along with many different flavour combinations to find your favourite taste. Today’s recipe is not only delicious and spicy but provides numerous health benefits due to the spices used!
You will need:
– 2 (15 oz) cans of chickpeas (drained)
– 1 tbsp olive oil + more for oiling the pan
– 1 tsp ea garlic salt, chili powder, paprika, cumin (I like quite a bit of spice so feel free to cut this down to 1 tsp ea if you think it will be too much)
– 1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper & roasted red pepper flakes depending on your preference for spice!
– 1/2 lemon for drizzling
Now for the cooking fun!
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
2) In a bowl mix drained chickpeas, olive oil and your spices. Squeeze half a lemon onto your mixture. Mix thoroughly.
3) Place evenly on a pan so that the chickpeas form one layer. Allow to roast in middle of oven for 20 mins, flip chickpeas and roast for a final 20 mins.
4) Allow to cool and enjoy!
All the great health benefits from this delicious snack come from their spices! Paprika is an incredible spice filled with carotenoids, vitamin C and anti-oxidants. Paprika’s vitamin C is essential to eye health while it’s compounds work as anti-inflammatories, natural pain killers and aid in lowering blood pressure. Paprika is also high in vitamins A, E and K! Cumin is another powerhouse spice widely believed to prevent certain cancers. Cumin is fantastic at speeding up digestion and aiding digestive upset, is high in vitamin C (just like paprika) as well as vitamin E and iron. Cumin will give your moods a great boost as it is effective at easing mental systems of depression and anxiety! Finally, cumin is excellent at building up the immune system by both preventing colds and killing foreign invaders!
Enjoy your delicious chickpeas as a snack, part of your salad or let me know if there is another way you like to eat roast chickpeas! Maybe you have a favourite roast chickpea recipe that you’d like to share with me? I look forward to hearing from you!