One thing I love to do when I have some time on my hands is search the internet for healthy updates of favourite foods. I have tried everything; chocolate avocado pudding (amazing), cauliflower mac and nutritional yeast “cheese” (decent), banana nice-cream (the best!). If you can name it, I have tried it, which is why 2 ingredient pancakes really piqued my interest! You may have seen this recipe floating around; pancakes made with just one banana and an egg. I tried this recipe multiple times and kept ending up with scrambled banana mush, it was gross. Now I love finding recipes, and then tweaking them to fit my tastes but nothing was working with these darn pancakes! I tried baking powder, adding berries to give more flavour but I kept ending up with an ugly, unappetizing mess. Until now! The key: oats!
Oats are great because they provide tons of heart healthy fiber, protein and little fat. They will keep you full for longer, protect from heart disease and keep your blood sugar nice and steady. They cause the pancakes to lightly fluff up, keeping a regular pancake-like consistency and prevent scrambled banana mush from happening.
The recipe itself isn’t much of a recipe!
For 4 servings (3 pancakes a serving) you will need:
– 4 eggs
– 4 bananas
– 1 cup oats
1) Heat your skillet to medium-high and lightly coat with coconut oil (or non-stick spray).
2) Throw your ingredients into a blender or mash them by hand until there are no lumps.
3) Add in any extras (blueberries, goji berries, cacao nibs, etc).
4) Spoon pancake mixture onto skillet. After a few minutes (3-5mins) the pancakes will be ready to flip. Make sure they’re cooked enough to be flipped in one piece (I have ruined many pancakes by being too eager!)
5) Cook on other side for 2 mins and you’re ready to eat!
I love topping my pancakes with a little cinnamon and maple syrup but have been known to put a dollop of organic 100% peanut butter in between the pancakes and let it melt! A delicious combination of salty and sweet!
What are your favourite pancake toppings? Do you like to add blueberries like I do? Let me know how much you enjoy these light, fluffy and healthy 3 Ingredient Pancakes!